During this in-depth tour along the route of the Royal Mile and its closes (alleys), we’ll visit both the locations described in the Outlander books and those used in the filming of the TV series.
We’ll also glimpse life as it was when Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Jacobites took over the city in 1745 for 6 weeks. You’ll hear the exciting true drama of unfolding events and find out how real history is just as compelling as fiction. Follow our heroes Jamie and Claire as they desperately try to change the course of history and avert a crushing Jacobite defeat at the Battle of Culloden.
We’ll walk with Claire 20 years later as she steps off the coach and goes in search of the printshop of a certain Mr A Malcolm.
Due to the current restrictions with Covid-19, the visit to Craigmillar Castle as part of the extended 4 hour tour is not available.
There is the option of adding a visit to Craigmillar Castle (Ardsmuir Prison) at the end of this walking tour. Transfer time by taxi to the castle is approximately 15 minutes. Discover the history of this impressive partly-ruined castle, which also doubles as the film location for Ardsmuir where Jamie was kept prisoner. (The extended tour is booked and extra fee paid for at the time of booking your Outlander tour).
Tour Itinerary and Highlights
- Your journey back in time starts at Edinburgh Castle Esplanade. Here you’ll discover the castle’s role as garrison to Government soldiers, including Captain Black Jack Randall, during the Jacobite siege.
- Find out about the real Geillis Duncan and how and where many Scottish witches met their deaths.
- Hear the tales, secrets and real history that link the lives and experiences of the characters in Outlander to the atmospheric closes (alleys) and courtyards as we walk through them.
- We’ll see the different locations that were used in filming the TV series – from the Governor’s lavish Ball in Jamaica, to Jamie’s print shop and the market place where Claire meets Fergus again after many years.
- We’ll conclude our tour outside the Palace of Holyroodhouse with stories of intrigue and clandestine meetings surrounding Bonnie Prince Charlie, Claire and Jamie.
- Currently the optional extension to this tour is not available to take you to the scene of Ardsmuir Prison for more history and Outlander film highlights. In real life this is Edinburgh’s other castle, Craigmillar Castle, set in an impressive location and with its own historic Royal connections and murder plots.
What You Can Expect
- A warm Scottish welcome from me as your personal tour guide and fellow Outlander enthusiast.
- A completely private tour just for you.
- As a qualified and knowledgeable guide you can trust that the historical facts and stories I have pleasure in sharing are well-researched and authentic. You’ll not only find out about Outlander, but also discover some of the historical background to the storylines.
- A comfortably-paced, enjoyable and informative tour, with time to stop for photos and for a short break if you need one.
Due to the location and geography of the Old Town, this walking tour is unsuitable for those with mobility restrictions as we will encounter slopes, cobblestones, steps and uneven ground. Unfortunately Medieval builders did not take ease of access into account when constructing the Old Town. However, I’ll be delighted to plan a bespoke tour to meet your restricted mobility needs if you contact me.
What’s not included
- We do not go inside Edinburgh Castle or the Palace of Holyroodhouse during this set tour
- Currently not available – (Entrance fee to Craigmillar Castle – on 4 hour tour only)
- Any drinks, snacks or food
What to Bring
- Comfortable footwear.
- Waterproof jacket and layered clothing. This is Scotland so we’re not always guaranteed sunshine on your tour. Sometimes it’s more like 4 seasons in one day! Please come prepared for our wonderful, ever-changing Scottish weather.
- A small bottle of water in case you get thirsty.